Saturday, October 13, 2007

Check out this Fire (or, "Jon is Really Cool")

Sometimes, when I decide to post something on the blog, I can't help but feel I'm just doing it so I can brag about how cute my daughter is, or some other selfish pursuit I want everyone to know about. This isn't always the case, but sometimes it's spot-on. Now on with the show...I'm pretty good at lighting fires.



Other people are good at things like making money or saving money or skiing or running or biking...those are all great things to be good at, and I wouldn't mind being skilled in any of those areas...but making a fire...well I can really make 'em well. Here's how it's done:


First, you need some wood.


Then, you need a match.



Stack your wood in a pile.



Light it with a match.



Owen thought we could use some pine needles, which I thought was an EXCELLENT idea.



Close-up of the flames





There it goes...



Put more wood on it



And now you have a fire.

My fire-building skills are pretty much indisputable. Check out Marcella's relaxing skills. I might know how to make a fire, but she knows how to use one.



First, find a chair. I don't know who she stole this from, but she showed up at the fire with it.



Open it up



Scoot back...




Chill by the fire!



FIRE!!!




Sweeet........

9 comments:

bentanelle said...

Wow, Jon I don't have many skills of my own either. Maybe after this picture tutorial I can hone a new skill. Too bad I am fresh out of wood and pine needles and it rains everyday in this country. Maybe in a few months to a year. Anyway, I like the picture storybook, I was amused!

Ben

Caroline said...

That was an awesome post. I can testify that you are the best fire builder I've ever met. Marcella and Owen were so funny how they liked the fire so much. I can't wait until next year when we can go up again.

Unknown said...

That is pretty cool jon! That trip was a blast! It was so much fun thanks for taking me! I can't wait till we go again!!

Terry said...

You do make some pretty awesome fires. How are you at starting a fire without a match? You had great pictures to go along with your story.

Cameron said...

I would say you've got some mad blogging skills too.

Tara said...

Now that is a great fire. You get all the braggin rights with that one.

Kanien said...

Hey...you're all being WAY to nice to him....I can't believe he made such a selfish post. Maybe now some of you will tell him the truth!

Gregory said...

Jon,

I don't think most people realize how much effort goes into building a good fire like that. The main point being splitting all that kindling takes a lot of patience.

Laurissa said...

Well, what is their left to say after all those accolades. I wish we could have been there to enjoy that fire. It would have been a bit more impressive if you started it with a flint and steel, though. JK