Sunday, July 25, 2010

Bikes, Yikes!

This has been a long time coming. For over a year now Marcella has been earning money and saving up so she could buy a bike. She would do chores around the house, save her sweet from Easter egg hunt money, birthday and Christmas cash, and occasionally get some money from her Grandpas when she would give them a cute smile. Some people thought we were a little crazy, and there were days that I wanted to just go and buy her a bike (like almost everyday last summer), but I held on. She knew the type of bike she wanted, and we made a chart with how much it was going to cost and she saved for it.

In April it all paid off. She got the bike of her dreams. We stopped by the bank to get her money out of her account and the smile on her face when she got to put the money in her pocket was priceless. All the waiting and keeping track was all worth it. Especially when she paid for it. We headed down to Taylor's Bike Shop in Provo and she started looking around. I was completely surprised she didn't take the purple bike she first tested. I thought for sure she would choose it or want to get a pink one, but she spotted a yellow one and, at that moment, decided yellow was her favorite color.

She loves riding to the park, to the church, and to her friends' houses. A month ago I decided it would be fun to go on a long bike ride with her. Once we were down the street, I realized it was a terrible idea. I think I pedaled 3 or 4 times the whole ride, but she got a good workout. She was so excited to tell Jon that she went on a 3 mile bike ride. It was super cute. Afterward, she was completely worn out.

Fast forward to now and we have been having fun at the park by our house. She will ride her bike and I will run next to her. She likes to have races, so this is perfect, I have my own personal trainer who makes me run faster when I feel like I am going to die and she gets to laugh the whole time we are out there.

And now we're at the next big step: taking off the training wheels. We took them off Saturday and she did great. She is having a hard time starting and stopping, but once she gets going she does fine. It was so fun to watch her and Jon practice. The sad thing is we decided to do it on the hottest day in history and it was about 98% humidity to make things a little worse. So we cut the practice short. Hopefully the next few days are a little nicer.






I love that she jumps off her bike when she feels a little scared. Don't be fooled by the wind noise, it was hot air promise.

5 comments:

Spencer Wallin said...

That is so awesome! I'm so impressed Marcella! I can't wait till we can go on a bike ride together next time I visit.

Terry said...

Way to go Marcella! That is so exciting. Keep practicing.

Julie said...

I can't believe how big your girls are! We miss you guys but it's great to "catch up" here.

Did you guys hear that Tucker got his call to Italy, Milan? He leaves in September.

andrea said...

What a cute house.
And P.S. Can you have Jon call clint ASAP

Caroline said...

Me and the kids loved watching all the videos. Hannah keeps saying "where was I?" Owen says "I love to see Claire laugh."

That's awesome that Marcella is learning to ride her bike without training wheels. Her jumping off move is totally sweet.