Thursday, May 08, 2008

Cohab Canyon


The first day, after we unpacked, we ate lunch and decided to go hike up Cohab Canyon. It's right next to the campground, and leads to the Fruita overlook. To get to the canyon, we had to hike up seven or eight switchbacks. Dad explained how the canyon got its name because during the Church's polygamous years, men would flee to the canyon with their wives to evade being arrested for plural marriage. The story has more details, but I can't remember them.

Grandma found Marcella this walking stick. She took an instant liking to it, and kept it with her on every hike. When we'd gone about halfway to the overlook, she asked if she could get down and walk. I obliged, an easy choice as she was riding on my back. She walked the rest of the way to the overlook. She'd stop every four steps and dig in the ground with her stick, or look at a rock, or tell us she just saw an ant. She really had a fun time.



The wind was blowing hard up on top of the plateau. The closer we got to the edge, the harder it blew. On the edge, it was all we could do to keep our balance. I think Kanien tried to push me, until she realized my life insurance policy would only buy her about six gumballs.

The Top




Miriam on the way back down

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jon this one totally made me laugh! Marcella's smile looks overly stretched in the picture with mom and dad. I love how she would show you ants! And the gum balls that was funny too!