Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sneaky Snake

I don't know how, but Marcella has turned into a complete Sneaky Snake, at least where shopping is concerned. We did the grocery shopping tonight. It takes about an hour or so, because Kanien liked to buy food for two weeks...that way we can eat really well for one week, then make a bunch of little trips to the store the second week. Anyway...It's tough for Marcella to stay in the cart that long, so inevitably, before we get to the register, she's down on the ground darting in and out of shopper traffic and driving me nuts. That's usually when I start a series of pilgrimages to the water fountain in order to preserve some measure of sanity. When we make it to the cashier, Marcella's true genius comes out in full bloom. She, in her toddler wisdom, understands the law of averages....the more you attempt something, the more likely you will succeed at it. So while Kanien and I are unloading the cart, swiping our debit card, reviewing the tally, etc., Marcella is waging a battle all her own. It consists of placing as many treats onto the conveyor belt as possible, hoping we won't notice one or two of them. What ensues is this: Kanien takes over as grocery QC (you know, making sure we get the advertised price on avocados and stuff), and I start removing the candy, explaining to Marcella that she gets enough treats already, and any more would violate the Laws of Childhood Deprivation so painstakingly instilled upon me by my parents. (These are for real....my Mom is famous for saying things like, "OK, you've had too much fun this weekend. Get out there and weed those raspberries!" I'm not making this up!) Inevitably, after arriving home and unpacking the groceries, we find some contraband (always fully paid-for...she hasn't yet mastered the art of thievery) that managed to make it in the bags. Today it was...


a bag of Candy Corn.
A few weeks ago..some Life Savers. She's also done it with air-heads and other candy.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so funny I wish I could have thought of that when I was a kid.

Amie said...

That is the best thing I have ever heard. She is one smart girl. Lets not let her teach that to Camrie.

Unknown said...

Becky was famouse for doing that also. The older kids always wanted Becky to go to the store with me so they could have some unexpected treat. I truly would discover some things, but , your right, some would get in the cart, paid for and home befor I would find out. So cute ????? : )

Laurissa said...

That's so sad, I can't believe Marcella has come this far in her sneakiness. I think the only thing that may reform her will be weeding raspberries. You'd better plant some right now.

Jami said...

She's smart. Today, I wish Trenton would do that, so we could have some unexpected treats around here.