Monday, June 21, 2010

What have we been up to lately (Post 1)

Well I sure haven't posted in a while. So here is the first of hopefully many updates in the next couple of days. The end of April we moved down the street to basically house sit for some friends. After we got that all settled and most of our stuff in storage we started doing some fun things.


I ran in the Race for the Cure with my friend from high school Sandy Jo! It was so good to see her even though I wouldn't say it was a "race" I am still loving the fact that I like to run now. Hopefully this will last long enough that I might even get better at it.

Then this little one....


and all her cross-eyed cuteness went in for surgery on May 12. After being told by one eye doctor that "we should only do surgery to fix her strabismus around 1st grade or so...we should really wait to see if she is even 'high-functioning' before we do surgery," I decided that I needed another opinion. After talking with the second doctorwe decided that it would be better to fix her eyes now. He reasoned that good vision would give her a chance to develop to the best of her ability. We heartily agree.

This is the only picture I got right after the surgery, and I am a little sad I didn't get a better one. The poor girl had a huge black eye and looked completely miserable. The worst part about her recovery was when I found out I have the Dougal fainting genes. I could barely even hold her because I felt so sick seeing her like that. It was awful. By the next day though she was up and running around.

By Sunday (May 15)....

She decided it would be fun to take a walk by herself. We were all in Caroline's backyard just playing and I looked around and looked at Jon and said, "Where's Claire?" We went into panic mode, running around to the front of the house hoping that she wasn't in the road. Jon looked around and saw her six houses down, holding Jeff's neighbor's hand, walking back towards us. Relieved that she wasn't hurt or playing in the road, it was pretty funny she was 6 houses away just cruisin' on the sidewalk.
What a little stinker!


Even though she still looks a little miserable in this picture, she was having the time of her life. She would be happy if we just let her go wherever she desires. Take sacrament meeting, for example. She's miserable on the bench, but completely happy just running around the gym. She doesn't have to have toys, books, or food - she just wants to walk and run and be free.



This was our entertainment that night. It was fantastic. They sang us a couple of songs as we roasted marshmallows on Caroline's fire pit. It was amazing.

I love that these two love playing together. It is so fun to hear there conversations and watch them play. They are so cute.



Jon and I took a little trip to Indiana to find a place to live this fall when Jon starts at Purdue (Nauvoo Temple above). We had so much fun. Thank you so much to the Grandmothers who took the girls for us. You are the best.

We had some awesome luck looking for houses and we were able to close on this one just last week.



Jon and I both agree that, while it's not our dream house (I want an old small brick house that has lots of character and he wants to be surrounded by land and a forest), it will be more than fabulous for us now. Going from a 725 sq. foot apartment to something with a garage and more than one tiny bathroom will be amazing. We can't wait to come and move in!! To BE Continued....




4 comments:

Spencer Wallin said...

Kanien!! Awesome post! Claire and Marcella are so cute. And can I just say that I am honored to be the first to comment. Next post should include some sweet cabin pictures from Memorial Day.

Terry said...

Enjoyed this post and the pictures - I'm ready for more! Can't wait for all the posts of the things you have been doing! Had a fun weekend with everyone spending time together.

Lizzy said...

Kanien thanks for the update! Even though it was yet another reminder that my time with you is limited. I guess I'll just have to move to Indiana next summer! :)

Lindy said...

This means you've consented to become a real Hoosier :). Good luck with the move, and let us know if you're ever in Indianapolis!