Sunday, November 21, 2010

Today

I have been thinking a lot lately about what I do. This past week I have felt like I have been cast on Groundhogs day and I am Bill Murray. Does it really matter if I make my bed, I have to do it again tomorrow. If I clean the kitchen after each meal that means I have cleaned the kitchen 3 maybe 4 times that day, is it worth it? We tidy bedrooms, living rooms, bathrooms, every day and then have to start over the next day. As I felt myself getting lost in a downward spiral of days in and out filled with the "little things" (yes you have to put your shoes on if you want to go outside) and the "big things" (laundry, does it ever go away?) I slowed down just a minute one morning and I was grateful for my circles.

It was just like every other morning that week. Claire had woken up a minute before I was getting up the gumption to get out of bed. (thank goodness that girl is still in her crib.)

Girls up, check. Girls dressed, check. Girls hair done, check. Beds made, room picked up,check. check.

Breakfast.... That was when it hit me. I was making pancakes and across the counter from me I saw these 2.



I was reminded of a talk given by Elder Ballard a few conferences ago:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”

Anna Quindlen

I am grateful for the times when I am reminded that I can decide how fast I run in "circles" and slow them down a bit to live in the moment. Love you all.

6 comments:

Terry said...

In my old age I have realized that what matters most is family and living a Christlike life. Worldly possessions don't seem to matter anymore. All the things we do everyday over and over teach self discipline, obedience and service. You are serving your family. That's how we learn. The Temple is repetitious - same thing every time we go. Like I said that is how we learn. Learn to do those mundane things happily - serve cheerfully like the Savior did. You are doing an awesome job and if there is anything that I could teach you is not to act like I did in raising you. Enjoy your family, live in the moment and don't sweat the mundane things.

Caroline said...

I feel the same way sometimes. Doing the mundane and menial tasks can really get to you. But that cute picture of your girls is a good reminder why we do it! I love the little moments, the hugs, laughs, and little songs and stories they come up with:) We miss your cute family like crazy!!!

Familia_Henderson said...

It's funny- I've been having the exact same feelings lately! Thanks for the uplifting quote- it really made me think about my upcoming week!

Sandi Summers said...

Very insightful lady;). And perfect timing. I've been dreading this week because my kids have the ENTIRE week off school. All I was thinking about is how stressed I would be hearing, "I'm bored!" possibly a hundred thousand times. After reading your post, it occurred to me that in 20 yrs I'd probably give my right arm just to hear that phrase again! Thanx for a little perspective:)

Unknown said...

Thanks Kanien, I needed that :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Kanien, I needed that :)