Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year resolution = warning, alittle long and personal

I have been thinking a lot about how the new year brings a sense of starting over. Re-commitment. Hope. Maybe even a desire to finally accomplish what we have been putting as our new years goal for years now. This year will be it. As I thought more and more about what I was going to set as my goal I have been able to think about what this past year has brought me.

Last Jan I decided this year was going to be it. I was going to lose weight and I would be healthy and basically look like super women. ;) I decided it would have to start with me working out with someone else. That is where I got super super lucky. I became friends with Carlee. Carlee is super woman and so amazing. She became my personal trainer and was nice enough to let me trade her training for babysitting a few hours a week. So we started.

In April I ran my first 5k. I will preface this with I don't like running. I have never been one to enjoy it or have a desire to do it. But Carlee said I had to so I did it. ;) I finished the 5k and was hooked. I ran 2 more races, then life started getting in the way again. At this point I had lost 11 pounds and about 10 inches. I went from size 12/14 to 9/10. Then we moved, twice. Started school and getting settled into our new area.
In Aug and Sept I decided I need to get back in my exercise routine and keep working on my goal. I kept track, I ran daily with my new friend. I gave up most treats. Then the end of the month came and I weighed EXACTLY the same as the first day I started. Talk about depressing. I just gave up. In October I was talking to my friend and told her I was giving myself until next summer to lose the weight I wanted to and if I didn't lose it I was just going to be happy with the weight I was and just try to maintain that. We then decided to start counting calories and keeping tabs on each other.
This is where I hope this helps any of you whose New years goal is losing weight. We started tracking our calories on Livestrong.com It is a free website where you can keep track of your calories. The best part is it will tell you how many calories you can eat if you want to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week. It has been amazing. We have been going since the end of October and as of today I have lost 10 more pounds and just bought a pair of size 6 jeans. I love that I no longer start feeling bad when I slip in my diet, then eat the whole bag of candy because I messed up. so I will "start over" tomorrow. I now just have to count it in my calories and then I just can't eat other things. I feel like I have a new found freedom.

Overall I feel like I have actually accomplished what I set out to accomplish this year. What a fabulous year! I hope 2011 brings just as much sense of accomplishment. On my to do this coming year: Half Marathon. I will let you know how it goes. Happy goal setting. Ciao.

3 comments:

Amie said...

That is awesome!!! You may be smaller then me. I have been wearing size 7. It is so nice when you find something that works for you. I don't even feel like I'm working out when I do Jazzercise because I love it so much. Which makes me want to keep doing it. Which has helped me to keep off the weight even during all the treats we have been having for Christmas.

Unknown said...

Kanien that is awesome! I am so excited to see you at the sisters retreat and i hope you don't slip on your diet although it would be pretty hard! your the most amazing person ever!

Cyndi said...

I love personal.

What a great resolution post.