Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sundays

When I was growing up Sunday was the day that Dad made homemade popcorn and we watched a movie. While we were making popcorn he would sometimes tell us about when he was growing up. He would make a huge garbage bag full of popcorn for his family and they would eat that after their hotdogs for dinner, and watch a movie. I have many fond memories of helping, well watching my dad make the popcorn and helping to pick out the movie. As we got older I remember one Sunday that my Dad was gone and I decided I had watched him make it enough I would be able to do it on my own, so I started making it. The only problem was that I put in a little bit too much oil and when I started shaking it some of the oil leaked out from the lid that I didn't have on very tight. Well, I bet you are wondering what happened next. Well, where my pan was there now was a small fire. I blew and smacked it out with a dish towel. Luckily my mom wasn't there to witness. I was scared to death! I am not sure if anyone else was there either, but man after that I just finished making the popcorn and took it upstairs to the rest of the family. Now even though I am gone, Jon and I usually make a big bowl of popcorn every Sunday, that we are around and either play a game or watch a fun movie. (Don't worry Jon makes the popcorn.) A lot of times this is after Marcella goes to bed. But Last Sunday she stayed up and watched the Disney Christmas Classics with us. I just thought I would let you know Dad that your tradition lives on. I think Marcella is going to love it as much as I did growing up. Thanks Dad!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! That reminds me of growing up in cold cold Michigan. In the mornings (before anyone was old enough to go to seminary) dad would wake us up early so we could read scriptures together as a family. He'd make piping hot chocolate (with marshmellows) to urge us out of our warm beds and down to the kitchen table. The hot chocolate stains in my scriptures have left fond memories.

I love family traditions.

Granpa Dann said...

How about the ones where you and your brothers slid dwon the stairs on the cusions while your mother and I were out!?! I learned by watching my Granpa Roos make popcorn. its all in the wrist. Happy Birthday Kanine. Love Dad